Looking for a place to do skiing or snowboarding in Manali? I suggest you do so in Sethan.
I had my first snowboarding experience in Sethan in 2017 and since then I’ve been totally hooked on it. I now run a place with the name Footloose Camps near Sethan and organise snowboarding and skiing lessons in Sethan.
What makes Sethan a better alternative to Solang Valley (the second option for learning skiing/snowboarding near Manali) is its offbeat location.
Unlike other places for learning snowboarding in India (like Auli, in Uttarakhand, or Gulmarg, in Kashmir) ski slopes here are comparatively less crowded — something that plays a great role for beginners to learn.
At nearly 2800 m above sea level and a 45 min drive from Manali Mall Road, Sethan also offers beautiful views of the towering Dhauladhar ranges. And this has made it an all-year-round popular tourist destination. During Summer, Sethan suits those who are looking for an offbeat place to travel near Manali, during winter, it becomes a hub for thrill-seekers.
A town inhabited by Tibetan settlement, Sethan is an ideal place for snow activities like skiing, snow trekking, and sledging, among other things.
So yea, if you are trying to do skiing or snowboarding in India, particularly near Manali, this is the place to be.
Here’s a quick video about my first snowboarding experience (back in 2017)…
Skiing Snowboarding in Manali
Learn Ski and Snowboarding in Sethan
- Pack your bags and visit Footloose Camps to become a perfect snowboarder.
- There are two different packages available: per day basis, basic ski/snowboarding camp.
- If you only want to get a hang of it, hire the equipment and the guide for a day or two and see if you like the sport, opt for our per day basis package.
- If you are a beginner and would love to understand the first steps required in the activity, you can select the basic ski or snowboarding camp which is for 7 days. You will be introduced to all the equipment and be quipped to ski/snowboard down a mountain on your own.
- Both our packages are full-board plans, meaning you will be provided with food, accommodation, transportation and all snowboarding equipment.
On per-day basis
- 2700 per person for a group size bigger than 7.
- 3600 per person for up to group size 3 to 7.
- 3800 per person for up to group size 3.
For Basic Course
- 13,500 per person for a group size bigger than 7 people.
- 15,500 per person for group size 3 to 7.
- 18,000 per person for solo travellers, and group size up to 3 members.
Day 1 – Upon arriving at Footloose Camps. All the participants would be getting the snowboards (or the ski) and shoes as per their compatibility with the equipment. Afterwards, you will get an orientation course that includes the basic lessons of how to be comfortable on the board.
Day 2 – Today, you would be taught how to balance, turn or push brakes and other related techniques by the instructor.
Day 3 – In the morning, you would be taken to a bunny hill with a slight slope where you will start riding downhill and this is the time you can practice the lessons you learnt the previous day.
Day 4 – Today, you will be going to partake in a ride from the beginner slope. An assistant instructor would help you ride downhill by leading from the front and the head instructor would assess each of you at the back. By the end of today, you can be confident enough to partake in a decent ride with confidence.
Day 5 – On day 5, you would be at the level of participating on any beginner level slopes. After a free run, you will be led to a more challenging slope where you get to know in detail how to cross the challenges in the terrain.
Day 6 – Today, you would be taken to indulge in high altitude snowboarding at 3200 meters. En route, you would be facing multiple levels of challenges but with this ride, you will understand how to tackle backcountry slopes.
Day 7 – It is the day for you to perfect the skills that you have acquired. You would be taken to much higher altitudes to tackle more challenging trails. The main instructor will be monitoring you to give you feedback.
By the end of the day, you will feel perfect in basic snowboarding or skiing.
Accommodation on sharing basis from day 1 to day 7.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner on all days from day 1 to day 7.
- Qualified instructor
- Instructor’s fee
- All snowboarding equipment
- All meals throughout the time of your stay with us
- Personal expenses for drinks (except for chai coffee we will provide)
- Manali to Footloose Camps transport (if you are coming by bus). But we can help with taxi pick up at an extra cost
- Other personal expenses
Things To Carry
- Warm clothes
- Comfortable footwear
- Trekking shoes
- Personal medical kit
Transportation would be provided wherever necessary
This is a group tour
- If cancellations are made 30 days before the start date of the trip, 25% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellations are made 15-30 days before the start date of the trip, 50% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellations are made within 0-15 days before the start date of the trip, 100% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
To book, please WhatsApp 8285695030 with details including PACKAGE YOU WANT (BASIC COURSE OR PER DAY BASIS), NUMBER OF PEOPLE, AND DATES TRAVELLING. Or visit Footloosecamps.com.